Dill Chicken Salad
I’m all for recipes that sustain my family throughout the week or quick grab and go options made in advance. Chicken salad is definitely one of those recipes – and this one is an adaptation given to me from a co-worker. It’s incredibly simple and packed with so much flavor. The dressing is a combination of real mayo, sour cream and couple tablespoons of room temp butter which provides it a richness without being heavy. The carrots and onions are roasted with the chicken, giving it incredible flavor and depth – but the celery, green onions and cashews provide the crunch.
Fresh herbs are one of my go to staples to change up every day dishes flavor-wise and dill is one of my favorite options. Use your favorite herb in lieu of the dill if you don’t prefer the flavor – the first time I made this recipe I used chives and it turned out just as delicious. The joy of cooking is the personalization you bring to the dish. Use recipes as your diving board – but make the art of the dive your own.
I love using mason jars to store this salad in the fridge. That way when early morning rush hour occurs in our home during the week, I can grab one to go on my way out the door to work. I hope you enjoy this recipe – thanks for stopping by!
- 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup diced cashews
- 1 bunch green onions, diced
- 5 stalks of celery sticks, diced
- 3 tbsp. fresh dill
- 1 cup real mayo (I used Hampton Creek’s Vegan Mayo )
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp room temp organic butter
- the juice of half a lemon
- garlic salt + pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place chicken breasts on a sheet pan and season with garlic salt + pepper. Add the diced onions and carrots atop the chicken, cover pan with tinfoil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Mix together the mayo, sour cream, butter, dill and lemon juice – stir until combined. Add the diced green onions, cashews and celery.
- Shred the chicken on the pan with two forks (the chicken will absorb back some of the juices from the cooking process, which is so much goodness.)
- Add the shredded chicken and cooked carrots/onions into the bowl with the dressing. Stir until combined and season if necessary.
- Chill. Devour. Enjoy!