I’m all for recipes that sustain my family throughout the week or quick grab and go options made in advance. Chicken salad is definitely one of those recipes – and this one is an adaptation given to me from a co-worker. It’s incredibly simple and packed with so much flavor. The dressing is a combination of real mayo, sour cream and couple tablespoons of room temp butter which provides it a richness without being heavy. The carrots and onions are roasted with the chicken, giving it incredible flavor and depth – but the celery, green onions and cashews provide the crunch.
Fresh herbs are one of my go to staples to change up every day dishes flavor-wise and dill is one of my favorite options. Use your favorite herb in lieu of the dill if you don’t prefer the flavor – the first time I made this recipe I used chives and it turned out just as delicious. The joy of cooking is the personalization you bring to the dish. Use recipes as your diving board – but make the art of the dive your own.
I love using mason jars to store this salad in the fridge. That way when early morning rush hour occurs in our home during the week, I can grab one to go on my way out the door to work. I hope you enjoy this recipe – thanks for stopping by!
- 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup diced cashews
- 1 bunch green onions, diced
- 5 stalks of celery sticks, diced
- 3 tbsp. fresh dill
- 1 cup real mayo (I used Hampton Creek’s Vegan Mayo )
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp room temp organic butter
- the juice of half a lemon
- garlic salt + pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place chicken breasts on a sheet pan and season with garlic salt + pepper. Add the diced onions and carrots atop the chicken, cover pan with tinfoil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Mix together the mayo, sour cream, butter, dill and lemon juice – stir until combined. Add the diced green onions, cashews and celery.
- Shred the chicken on the pan with two forks (the chicken will absorb back some of the juices from the cooking process, which is so much goodness.)
- Add the shredded chicken and cooked carrots/onions into the bowl with the dressing. Stir until combined and season if necessary.
- Chill. Devour. Enjoy!