Our family is big on snacks in between meals, and I’m always encouraging my girls to choose healthy snack options as much as possible. My youngest and I can often be found snacking on carrots and hummus, and it’s quickly become one of my favorite go to options. The really beautiful thing about hummus is that it’s such a blank canvas for flavors. From smokey eggplant to jalapeño, I haven’t found one hummus I don’t enjoy.
I particularly love this blend for it’s peppery notes from the red lentils. Lentils are a great source of protein – but they’re also dense in folate, iron and manganese. I try to provide my family with plant based sources of iron as much as possible, and often “sneak” lentils into soups, chili or this creamy hummus. They also pack a great punch of B6 vitamin, which is key for brain and nervous system functions.
Edit this recipe as you see fit with fresh herbs or spice. I decided to whir in some red pepper flakes at the last minute to give it a little more kick. Fresh jalapeños would compliment the lentils as well. I love hummus with a tiny bit of texture, so I didn’t puree it until it was velvety smooth, though you certainly can. Finish it off with some extra EVOO drizzled atop and fresh herbs or more red pepper flakes. We love to dip fresh raw veggies, crackers or bean chips into our hummus; but choose what you love most. Enjoy and thanks for stopping by! Cheers from my kitchen to yours.
- 3/4 cup cooked red lentils
- 15 oz. can organic chickpeas, drained
- 1/4 cup organic tahini
- 1/4 cup EVOO, plus more for drizzling
- juice of 1 small lemon
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp cane sugar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic salt (I added just a touch more at the end)
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional) plus more for garnish
- Rinse lentils and cook according to the package instructions. (I cooked 1 cup dried lentils and had a bit leftover of which I used in another dish.)
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and puree until you get desired texture. If you prefer your hummus a bit thinner, add a little more EVOO.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and chill. Drizzle with EVOO and any other garnish you’d like, then serve with your favorite crunchy snack.