I recently picked up a large amount of Kumquats at the store and they were bursting with tartness and vibrance. It was almost like an entree to the spring, sunshine and the warmer weather we’ve finally been enjoying in a tiny little orange package. They pack a punch that’s so lovely and unexpected, and in my opinion, completely under utilized!
On a sunny afternoon over this past weekend, our oldest was playing outside, the youngest taking a late nap and I was prepping dinner. My husband asked me to make us a refreshing drink and enjoy each other’s company for a 5 minute mini date. These are the moments I cherish; those unexpected moments to connect and chat amidst the beautiful every day moments of Bubble Guppies and diaper changes.
I almost immediately grabbed the Kumquats and the idea formed of a refreshing, citrusy drink that almost tastes like summer. It’s perfect for a sunshine filled day – or any weather for that matter to sweeten a moment with a loved one
This recipe yields enough for 2 drinks. Cheers to you, my friends! And a special cheers to the one my heart loves.
- 1 cup kumquats, washed
- The juice of 3 blood oranges
- The juice of 1/2 lemon, plus a slice for each drink to garnish
- A splash of sparkling water for each drink (optional – I used Lemon LaCroix)
- 2 oz of your favorite vodka
- In a food processor or similar (I used a magic bullet), process the Kumquats until fully puréed. The purée will be pithy.
- Over a large measuring cup or small bowl, strain the purée through a fine sieve to extract the juices of the Kunquats. While you can eat the whole kumquat, it’s best for this drink to remove the pith and seeds by straining out the liquid. It provides a concentrated flavor without the grit in the drink.
- Into the same measuring cup or bowl, add the juice of the blood oranges and half lemon. Stir to combine. It makes a gorgeous red/orange color and smells like you’ve been sucker punched by a citrus grove.
- Fill two cups with ice and divide the vodka amongst the two. I used 8 oz low ball glasses filled with ice to the rim.
- Pour the citrus mixture over the vodka, leaving a little room to splash sparkling water atop each drink. Stir and garnish with a lemon wedge. Cheers!