As the weather turns colder and the holidays approach, the anticipation of the comforts that go along with this time of the year fill me with equal parts nostalgia + excitement. The food, the company & the coziness it all brings together are pure perfection.
While it’s been said that nothing is more American as pie, (specifically during Thanksgiving & Christmas) there’s something simplistic & beautifully rustic about a galette that I cannot ignore. It’s simple in appearance, but bold in flavor – whatever the flavor may be. I also love that they are quick to make, leaving less time in the kitchen & more time spent with family.
This summer we picked 10 pounds of raspberries and froze a good portion of them. Recipes such as this one was precisely what I had intended for the frozen berries. The combination of sweet + tart are perfect for any gathering, be it holiday or not. Happy baking!
- 1 cup unbleached, AP flour
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 tbsp very cold butter, cubed
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup ice water (remove the ice before adding)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1 cup cranberries
- the zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp sugar
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour + cinnamon. Add the diced cold butter & cut in with a pastry knife or fork.
- add the vanilla extract + 1/4 cup of ice water (sans ice), combining together with clean hands until it forms a ball. If the mixture is too dry, add a tablespoon of water at a time until it comes together.
- Cover the ball in plastic wrap & refrigerate for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400.
- On a clean surface dusted lightly with flour, roll out the chilled dough until it forms a round crust approximately 10″ in diameter.
- Transfer the dough to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- In a separate bowl, combine the fruit, lemon zest + juice and sugar together. Stir & add to the center of the dough.
- Gently fold over the edges of the galette & crimp the corners.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden brown & the fruit begins to bubble. Serve warm or store up to 2 days.