Cauliflower is one of those vegetables I’ve always struggled eating until recently. In efforts to get my two blonde babes to keep an open mind about all foods, I figured I should do the same and simply try different variations of cooking said vegetable.
One tried and true method I’ve found to get almost anyone to enjoy a vegetable they normally turn up their nose to is to roast it in the oven with fresh herbs. Herbs provide such a strong punch of flavor simply + naturally, and in no time at all completely change the flavor of any dish. Roasting vegetables with a little EVOO also brings out the vegetable’s natural sweetness and enhances it’s flavor so nicely that I find myself using this technique when I’m in a cooking rut or short on time.
I digress. This recipe doesn’t roast the cauliflower, so you may be wondering why I even bring it up. Two reasons: 1.) be bold + take a vegetable you’re not all that keen of and roast it. Trust me. 2.) after using the vegetable in a new way – it will open your mind up about trying other preparations as it did for me with cauliflower.
This recipe is so simple and has become a favorite side dish with any protein. It’s also a fun way to change up the usual carb side option with a flavorful veggie substitute. I encourage you to use your favorite herb in this – thyme is lovely, but I can think of a few substitutes that would also go well, like chives, sage or rosemary. Happy cooking and thanks for stopping by!
- 1 head cauliflower, preferably organic
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tbsp EVOO
- 2 tsp ground pepper
- 1.5 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- Grate the head of cauliflower, sticking to the portions you would eat. It will grate easier if you leave the head whole rather than cutting the segments off the stalk.
- In a large pan on your stovetop, add the EVOO, diced onions, grated cauliflower, chopped thyme, garlic salt + pepper. Saute 10-12 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Add the parmesan cheese and saute an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat + serve with fresh thyme garnished atop.