Little known fact about me (that isn’t necessarily going to win me popularity votes…) – I really don’t care for ice cream. There. I said it. Any time I admit it out loud, I get a look suggesting I ought to be confined to an island far, far away. That idea is sort of appealing to me, though – so I’m okay admitting it aloud. I know I am part of the minority, but the ice cream truck didn’t invoke the same sort of emotion in me as a child that it does for 98% of the population.
Enter the granita. By definition, a granita is is a semi-frozen dessert made from sugar, water and various flavorings. This version is kind of ice cream’s cousin because the two main components are whole milk and Bizzy cold brew coffee. I mean – it’s basically a cold brew coffee in a frozen form. Lightly + naturally sweetened and velvety smooth, this dessert makes me insanely happy.
If you’re invited to a dinner party, bring this to the table for dessert. It’s the definition of simple and a great way to cap off the night amongst friends. 5 ingredients + the bold, smooth flavor of the Bizzy coffee really shines in this dish.
This may be my new morning routine. Then again, I’m a sucker for cold brew.
- 3 cups organic whole milk (don’t go less fat, friends. Use the whole milk.)
- 1 cup Bizzy cold brew concentrate
- 1/2 cup Wholesome Sweet organic pure cane sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped dark chocolate covered espresso beans
- Combine the whole milk, Bizzy cold brew + cane sugar in a saucepan over medium heat on the stovetop, whisking constantly for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Refrigerate the liquid 12-24 hours.
- Pour the mixture and roughly chopped chocolate espresso beans into an ice cream maker and follow the directions per the manufacturer manual. I used a Cuisinart and let churn 20 minutes to thicken.
- Transfer the churned granita mixture to the freezer to harden another 12 hours. Serve + enjoy.