As back to school creeps closer and pre-season football games are in full swing, I find the comforts of heavier appetizers to munch in lieu of dinner more appealing. This one will become a new staple on weekends and holiday gatherings in our kitchen. It’s creamy and loaded with flavor from a variety of cheeses, onions and bacon.
BACON. I could just stop writing here, because let’s be honest…bacon is a love language in and of itself. Unless you’re a vegetarian, I suppose. In which case – remove the bacon from the recipe. I promise, it will still be great.
This recipe is really simple and packed with some of my family’s favorite things. One of which was a semi recent discovery of a shallot + chive flavored Boursin cheese. Caramelized onions and bacon round out the flavors perfectly, and the options for dippers are endless. I used toasted baguettes, gluten free crackers, carrots and sugar snap peas. Slice some chicken breast on the side, or top this on a cooked meat of choice to make dinner more exciting.
However you eat it, invite over some friends or huddle over the skillet with your loved ones. The food comes first, the memories that follow are the blessings. Thanks for stopping by & enjoy!
- 1 large yellow onion, cut in half then thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 bunch green onions diced (reserving some for garnish)
- 1/2 lb. bacon, cooked + diced (I used some leftover from brunch the day prior. Use the whole pound if you choose!)
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1.5 cups Italian blend shredded cheese
- 2 – 5oz. packages of Shallot + Chive Boursin cheese
- 1 cup organic Mayonnaise (I used the Hampton Creek Just Mayo brand)
- 3 tbsp. EVOO
- Cook the bacon and let cool. Then heat oven to 350.
- Pour the EVOO in the a 10″ skillet + use a rubber brush to evenly distribute across the base and sides of the skillet. I love my Lodge Cast Iron and it’s available at Target!
- Sauté both the sliced yellow and green onions over medium low heat until caramelized, approximately 10 minutes.
- Once caramelized, add all cheeses and mayo to the skillet and stir until combined.
- Bake the dip 15 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- While dip is cooking, dice the bacon into small pieces.
- Remove the skillet dip from the oven + top with the bacon pieces + remaining green onions. Serve with your favorite dipping items + enjoy!