Savory Waffles with Prosciutto, Arugula + Over Easy Egg
Brunch: it’s technical definition is a late morning meal eaten instead of breakfast and lunch and categorized as a noun.
In my book, brunch is a verb. Done with enthusiasm and best when shared amongst friends. Weekends and brunch go together like coffee and chocolate, where adequate time can be spent enjoying all varieties of food sweet and savory.
I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, so savory dishes are my jam at any brunch table. This dish satisfies every tastebud – and can be tailored to anyone’s liking quite simply. The slight crunch of the nutty waffle (a perfect mix of almond, brown rice + teff flours) provides a perfect canvas to the peppery arugula, salty prosciutto + buttery yolk of the over easy egg. Top it with a pure maple syrup and you’ve hit every tastebud with a powerful punch.
Wether you enjoy this for breakfast, lunch, dinner or brunch – you’ll walk away both full and satisfied. Enjoy while sipping an iced coffee or Bloody Mary (I have my favorite recipe here.) Recipe yields three waffles.
Enjoy + happy brunching!
For the waffles
- 1 cup almond flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/4 cup sprouted brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup teff flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup whole milk (or unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
For the toppings (per waffle)
- 1 egg, cooked over easy
- 1/2 cup baby arugula
- 2 pieces of prosciutto
- Maple syrup for drizzling
- Preheat waffle grill to medium high heat.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Whisk together all wet ingredients and stir into the dry mixture, making sure not to over mix.
- Generously spray the waffle maker with nonstick cooking spray. Pour 1/2 cup of the batter atop the bottom iron and cook until brown.
- Place waffles on a cookie rack if serving immediately, or place on a baking sheet in a preheated oven set to the keep warm temp.
- Cook the eggs over easy (or fry if you’re not fond of the runny yolk, but note the yolk adds the creamy, buttery flavor that rounds out this dish nicely.)
- Top each waffle with the arugula, layer the prosciutto atop the arugula and finish with the over easy egg. Drizzle your preferred amount of maple syrup atop and enjoy!
Would absolutely love to wake up to this for breakfast. Nice work (: