These saucy, beefy sandwiches are the perfect weeknight dinner. My family is convinced this is the best recipe for a homemade Sloppy Joe. Ground beef in a garlicky, sweet tomato sauce served on brioche buns, skip the store bought version and make these for your family tonight!
My mom used to make sloppy joes regularly for dinner. Now that I’m a mom, I can see the reasoning. They’re a quick meal that’s always a hit and requires minimal time and prep. While I grew up eating Manwich, my Mother-in-law introduced me to her homemade recipe – and I’ll never go back. This recipe is an adaptation of hers and I’m confident you’ll love it too! Recipe feeds 4-6.
- 1 lb. ground beef (85% fat)
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup (or sub brown sugar)
- 1 clove minced garlic (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
- 1/2 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Brown the beef and onion in a medium sized sauté pan over medium heat until the beef is fully cooked. Add the minced garlic during the last minute of browning the beef.
- Turn the heat to low and add ketchup, dijon mustard, maple syrup, s+p. Stir until well combined.
- Let simmer on low for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together. Serve on brioche buns with pickles (optional!)