Week night meals can vary from a well planned, calm menu to a frenzied episode of Food Network’s ‘Chopped’ in our home. If you work, have children, volunteer, travel often or any combination of the above, you get where I’m coming from in terms of this scenario.
Not all are successful, and ironically the biggest hits are usually the frantic sort where careful planning hasn’t occurred. Perhaps it’s not all that ironic, as in my opinion good food speaks for itself. Fresh ingredients prepared in simple ways have always spoken love to me, so it’s no surprise that this specific frenzied dish resonated with both my family & a number of others who requested the recipe.
Throw it together for a meatless Monday option or on a night you’re short of time or energy. Pair it with a glass of sauvignon blanc to fully allow yourself to decompress from the long day, but most importantly – share it with someone you love. Cheers, friends – from my kitchen to yours.
- 1 head cauliflower, removed from the stalk + cut into florets
- 5 tbsp. EVOO, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 tbsp fresh dill, roughly chopped + divided
- 2 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1 lb thin spaghetti
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock (I love Trader Joe’s organic brand for full flavor)
- 1/2 yellow onion sliced + sautéed
- 1.5 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Garlic salt + pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper + arrange the cauliflower florets + garlic cloves evenly across the pan. Drizzle lightly with 2 tbsp. EVOO, garlic salt, pepper, red pepper flakes + 2 tbsp. fresh dill. Bake approximately 30 minutes until golden brown and soft enough to pierce with a fork without resistance.
- Cook the pasta to al dente. While the pasta cooks, halve the cherry tomatoes + slice the onion into quarter inch half moon slices.
- Place remaining 3 tbsp. of EVOO in a large pan or skillet on medium heat and cook the onions until translucent. Add the cherry tomatoes + stock to the pan, followed by the cooked pasta and roasted cauliflower. Sauté 30 seconds to combine then add the fresh dill + Parmesan cheese. Season with garlic salt + pepper per your liking.
- Remove from heat and toss all the ingredients together. Add more fresh dill for garnish + serve.