Mojito Shortbread Cookies
There’s something about a mojito that takes me back to the pre-kids years and traveling with my hubby. Warm sandy beaches, a beautiful ocean kissing the horizon and sitting hand in hand sipping a mojito: these are a few of my favorite things. Call me fräulein Maria.
• 1 cup of sugar, plus another 1/4 cup for sprinkling
• 1.5 tsp pure vanilla extract
• the zest of 2 limes
• 20 mint leaves, chiffonade
• 3.5 cups unbleached all purpose flour (I used King Arthur)
• 2 tbsp clear rum (I used Bacardi Silver)
• 1/4 lime, juiced
- Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with silpat liners or parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter and 1 cup sugar. Then add the vanilla, mint leaves, lime zest and rum. Add flour and salt and mix until combined. The mixture will be crumbly.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the log into 1/4-1/2″ thick slices and place onto lined baking sheets. Mix remaining 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 of the juiced lime together and sprinkle atop each cookie prior to baking.
- Bake 13-15 minutes.